Video Conferencing Trends 2021 in the Post-COVID World
Technology has been instrumental in providing innovative solutions to address the problems caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Trends in videoconferencing clearly illustrate this point. We invite you to view an informative webinar presented for the IUAlliance that looks at how video conferencing technology in 2021 is changing the way we work, obtain healthcare, spend our leisure time, and socially interact with others.
The webinar includes a discussion of video conferencing trends and potential presented by Viacheslav Vaniukov, CEO and co-founder of the software development company Softermii. It also contains a presentation by the owner of Scoby Social. He engaged Softermii to help develop an innovative video conferencing app that takes advantage of the benefits he identified when interacting virtually as a consequence of the pandemic.
Video Conferencing Trends Before COVID-19
Multiple impediments contributed to slow the adoption of video conferencing technology before the coronavirus pandemic. The areas of society we are focusing on each had some specific issues that impacted the use of teleconferencing.
Productivity concerns made management reluctant to allow work to be done remotely. Additional roadblocks were a lack of integration into enterprise workflows and the costs of development and implementation. The security of corporate data assets is another issue that slowed the use of remote technology solutions.
Social and leisure activities
Teleconferencing has always been seen as a poor alternative to personal interaction when engaged in leisure activities. People enjoy and thrive on social experiences such as meeting in bars, going to concerts, and attending sporting events in person.
Multiple issues including a lack of apps and data security concerns worked against the spread of telehealth solutions. Educating patients on the use of new technology posed a problem. In some cases, insurance companies denied reimbursement for teleconferencing visits with healthcare professionals. The sensitive nature of the data exchanged between patients and providers made it essential that strong security was implemented.
Emerging Trends in Video Conferencing After Covid
The appearance of COVID-19 has forced decision-makers to rethink how they can use teleconferencing. Government lockdowns and social distancing protocols designed to slow the spread of the virus were implemented without much warning. In many areas of our lives, the only way to maintain some semblance of normalcy is with video conferencing in the post-covid landscape.
Here are some of the emerging trends in video conferencing after COVID that offer opportunities for developing new software solutions.
Enhanced business communication
- Commercial video conferencing solutions like Google Meet and Zoom were available as stopgap measures to maintain business communication. These generic apps are being replaced by more secure and sophisticated apps developed for specific audiences.
- Business users want apps that are as easy to use as FaceTime while providing the functionality demanded of a corporate audience.
- Businesses can enjoy substantial savings by reducing travel costs and through the consolidation of office space in favor of a remote workforce.
- Improved video quality and the ability to integrate virtual meetings with productivity tools are essential components of new video conferencing solutions.
- The remote workforce requires collaborative tools to safely replace in-person meetings. They need to permit the free exchange of ideas without presenting technical roadblocks.
- Telehealth is a field that will continue to grow even after the pandemic is brought under control. Contact-free interaction between patients and providers brings better healthcare alternatives to those living in remote areas or those who cannot easily travel.
- Transportation costs and waiting time are reduced through meeting with video conferencing, making telehealth attractive to patients. Industry adoption of virtual solutions has resulted in insurance providers reimbursing expenses for visiting the doctor through video conferencing.
- Video conferencing apps developed for the healthcare industry need to ensure stringent security to protect the sensitive personal information exchanged between patients and providers.
- Ease of use is an important characteristic that will help drive the adoption of virtual solutions in healthcare. Both patients and practitioners need to be comfortable with using the app for it to gain widespread use.
Society at large
- Apps that offer users the chance to virtually interact seamlessly with friends depend on video conferencing technology. The trend is toward apps that allow free-form interaction with multiple parties simultaneously viewing and sending video streams.
- Virtual tours of cultural attractions like museums offer organizations the ability to present their work to new and larger audiences. Apps that allow individuals to view the great attractions of the world from the comfort of their home promise to be an exciting opportunity for software developers.
- Video conferencing innovations will continue to affect the way consumers make purchasing decisions. Dedicated apps can be used to walk users through purchases involving real estate, furniture, vehicles, and many other products.
In many cases, changes spurred by the pandemic have revealed better ways to conduct business and attend to other aspects of modern life. There are tremendous opportunities for developers focusing on innovative uses of video conferencing technology.
Video conferencing in 2021 and Beyond + The Scoby App Story
The proverbial genie is out of the bottle regarding the use of video conferencing in many areas of society. The advantages of remote work and health delivery solutions make it virtually impossible to neglect the technology in favor of antiquated methods. Their proven benefits make video conversation app development a promising field for software engineers and developers.
Projections indicate that video traffic on the Internet will continue to grow and exhibit a four-fold increase between 2017 and 2022. Much of this increase is due to interpersonal communication facilitated by video conferencing. Business travel costs are substantially reduced by replacing face-to-face meetings with virtual alternatives. Employees are saved the hassle and time associated with traveling and often feel more included and valued in the corporate culture.
Millions of business-related video conferences are held daily in the United States. A vibrant market exists for company-specific and more general communication solutions that meet the security and functionality needs of the business and healthcare communities. There are also many opportunities for new apps for socializing and spending leisure time online.
Scoby App Story
An illustrative example demonstrating an innovative implementation of video conferencing can be seen in the Scoby app.
The app, developed with the assistance of Softermii, offers users a unique method of engaging in meaningful conversations using the video conferencing capabilities of computers and mobile devices. Its goal is to develop a supportive society for individuals and organizations intent on finding new ways to connect and prosper in an online world.
David Larson Levine, founder and CEO of Scoby, speaks eloquently about the enhanced potential afforded through video conferencing technology. While personally dealing with some of the constraints brought about by the pandemic, he began to realize the power that video conferencing could bring to virtual interactions. Instead of missing the weekly “Trivia night” at his local bar, he could participate virtually with friends across the country. This was the impetus for the Scoby app, which offers users an innovative way to communicate using video conferencing.
The Israeli-Ukrainian Alliance is designed to strengthen social, business, and investment relations between Israel and Ukraine. They helped develop a partnership between Softermii and the Israeli companies Quantum and Zag who contributed technical expertise to the Scoby project.
Organizations that want to develop a video conversation app customized to their requirements can save time and effort by partnering with Softermii. They bring a wealth of development experience to the table and will turn your vision into a functional and highly-usable software application.