Want to know more? — Subscribe
Technology has been instrumental in providing innovative solutions to meet remote work needs. Video conferencing software trends clearly illustrate this point.
And in this article, we’ll tell you about new video technology trends. You will also learn about the successful video conferencing applications (Parta, Events10x, HIPAA Telmed, PractiCall) that we regularly create in a short timeframe.
So let’s find out what the upcoming trends in video conferencing technology will be in 2023.
Video Conferencing Market Analysis & Overview
According to Global Market Insights, the video conferencing market size exceeded $25 billion in 2022 and is projected to expand at around 10% CAGR from 2023 to 2032. This figure might change next year. Why? Since remote work is here to stay.
Source: Global Market Insights
Accordingly, demand and supply for video conferencing apps will increase even more. In our volatile world, it isn’t easy to make accurate predictions. So you must be one step ahead if you want to tackle a video conferencing adoption.
Let’s look at the main players. In the current global video conferencing market, we can distinguish the following companies that together occupy a little more than half of the entire market:
- Zoom Video Communication Inc.
- Cisco Systems Inc.
- Microsoft Corporation
- Google Inc.
- Adobe Systems Inc.
- ZTE Corporation
- Huawei Technologies Co.
Speaking of the industries that leverage video conference technologies, the corporate segment dominates the market with a 28% share. Other end-users are:
Source: Grand View Research
You most likely want to create an application that meets your customers’ expectations. And we want to help you. So, we’ll discuss the trends in the next blocks of this article.
Video Conferencing Market Insights & Remote Work Impact
The pandemic spurred video conferencing market growth due to restrictions imposed by regional governments. Most people have faced problems like this:
- Closure of offices and educational institutions
- Travel limitations within cities, countries, and between countries
- Restrictions on attending events, shopping and entertainment centers, and other public places
Consequently, companies began to look for opportunities to adapt to challenging situations to achieve the desired financial results. They have started using video conferencing apps for business events and partner negotiations. This solution helped enterprises to save office rental costs.
Furthermore, video conferencing apps enable companies to cut travel costs by around 30%. So it’s unsurprising that about 92% of B2B businesses add these solutions to their processes.
Emerging Video Conferencing Technology Trends in 2023
The omnipresent shift to remote work has forced decision-makers to rethink how they can use teleconference technology. Here are some of the new video conferencing technology trends in business communication that offer opportunities for developing new software solutions.
1. Enhanced Business Communication
- Commercial video conferencing solutions like Google Meet and Zoom were available as stopgap measures to maintain business communication. These generic apps are being replaced by more secure and sophisticated apps developed for specific audiences.
- Business users want apps as easy to use as FaceTime while providing the functionality demanded of a corporate audience.
- Businesses can enjoy substantial savings by reducing travel costs and consolidating office space in favor of a remote workforce.
- Improved video quality and integrating virtual meetings with productivity tools are essential components of new video conferencing solutions. One such example includes the Bluejeans platform.
- The remote workforce requires collaborative tools to replace in-person meetings safely. They need to permit the free exchange of ideas without presenting technical roadblocks.
- Telehealth is a field that will continue to grow even after the pandemic is brought under control. Contact-free interaction between patients and providers brings better healthcare alternatives to those living in remote areas or who cannot easily travel. One such solution that connects doctors and patients is our app Medrealtime.
- Transportation costs and waiting time are reduced through meetings with video conferencing, making telehealth attractive to patients. Industry adoption of virtual solutions has resulted in insurance providers reimbursing expenses for doctor visits through video conferencing.
- Video conferencing apps developed for the healthcare industry must ensure stringent security to protect the sensitive personal information exchanged between patients and providers.
- Ease of use is an important characteristic that will help drive the adoption of virtual solutions in healthcare. Both patients and practitioners need to be comfortable using the app to gain widespread use.
3. Society at Large
- Apps that allow users to interact seamlessly with friends virtually depend on video conferencing technology. The trend is toward apps that allow free-form interaction with multiple parties simultaneously viewing and sending video streams. We followed this trend in our Parta social networking app.
- Teleconferencing has always been seen as a poor alternative to personal interaction when engaged in leisure activities. Yet, it’s all about to change with the introduction of top-notch video conference technology. Virtual tours of cultural attractions like museums allow organizations to present their work to new and larger audiences. Apps that enable individuals to view the world’s great attractions from the comfort of their homes promise to be an exciting opportunity for software developers.
- Video conferencing innovations will continue to affect the way consumers make purchasing decisions. Dedicated apps can walk users through purchases involving real estate, furniture, vehicles, and many other products.
4. Cloud-Based Communication
- Cloud communication can significantly reduce your IT costs since you don’t need to use the infrastructure or equipment.
- Cloud services are more convenient and simpler for both users and IT professionals. They can be automatically updated and maintained by the developer. Companies only need to make subscription fees (there are also free apps like GoToMeeting).
- It’s much easier for your employees to understand cloud communication. On top of that, such technology can have many users worldwide who can also help you with arising questions.
5. The Growth of 5G
- This technology can increase speed and reduce latency for mobile users. Video and audio quality will take center stage in the remote communication of people.
- 5G will help increase the number of IoT devices that can interact with each other 24/7. For example, people will use more advanced models of watches and glasses in this direction.
- 5G technology can also help organize quality online events.
- Companies increasingly use artificial intelligence (AI) when developing video conferencing apps. Whoosh is a decent example that offers AI-powered interactive tools for better communication.
- Businesses can integrate this technology into their virtual assistant solutions. They can help users with many issues related to online negotiations: note-taking, schedule management, suggestions for pre-meeting preparation, and much more.
- AI can collect useful data from online meetings and analyze it. For example, you will see the names of the participants in your video conference, which improves communication.
- Moreover, AI can process the language, allowing video conferencing conversations to be recorded and even translated into different languages in real time.
- People want to use secure apps because they worry about personal data leaks. And companies take care of the compliance of their solutions with safety standards so that customers feel calm. It’s especially relevant for telehealth apps that contain sensitive data. Our team develops healthcare software like HIPAA Telmed following data security regulations.
- You need to ensure that your developers use the new technology in video conferencing and take care of your application’s security.
- If you have created a robust video conferencing solution, you can post information or an icon that your application complies with security standards.
8. User Experience
- Customers pay attention to the convenience and simplicity of video conferencing apps. Therefore, users prefer to use FaceTime and WhatsApp to start a conversation in seconds.
- Companies try to create apps where people need to take the minimum number of steps to start a video chat. The development team tests their solutions in focus groups to bring a good product to the market.
- Clients prefer to use web applications that they do not need to download but follow the link and make one click.
- You can also create an application that can integrate different popular video conferencing platforms.
In many cases, changes spurred by the shift to remote work have revealed better ways to conduct business and attend to other aspects of modern life. There are tremendous opportunities for developers focusing on innovative uses of new video conferencing technologies.
What Video Conferencing Tech Trends Have Lost Their Relevance?
Now that you know about the main video conferencing software trends, it is worth learning about the tendencies that have lost their relevance. That will help you keep pace with the times and stay competitive.
H3 Desktop-Based Video Conferencing Apps
As we said, now all attention is focused on cloud technologies. As a result, desktop application development is no longer financially and strategically profitable.
H3 Vendor-Locked Video Conferencing Platforms
Vendor-locked systems have also lost their relevance. They offer a low level of interoperability, often face hitches, and make communication difficult. Such platform development only makes sense if you have deployed the same systems across all your locations and the locations of your customers and stakeholders. Still, this is time-consuming and costly.
Types of Video Conferencing Technology
Let’s also discuss the types of video conferencing technologies you can implement. Here are the main ones:
Desktop Video Conferencing
Desktop video conferencing apps are still popular among various organizations. Yet, as we mentioned earlier, this software is gradually losing its relevance.
Integrated Video Conferencing
Integrated systems are the latest video conference technologies typically used in conference halls or classrooms. They involve using centralized location wires and cameras.
This technology is suitable for on-demand video conferencing. It involves using hardware that turns the computer into a video call mode and converts it back to the monitor as soon as the call ends.
This technology involves using an external camera, microphone, and display. Conference participants must agree on their audio and video codecs in advance to enable video communication.
Room video conferencing allows communication of several people simultaneously. To enable this technology, you need to determine how many sites and locations will participate in the call and how many displays will be connected.
Telepresence Video Conferencing
Telepresence video conferencing simulates face-to-face meetings, often using VR technologies.
Multiway technologies allow you to use several video conferencing systems simultaneously. It enables holding meetings between people in different places effortlessly.
Data sharing is perfect for video meetings that involve using presentations and other digital materials. For example, participants can share documents, photos, videos, or audio.
We will tell you about some of our partners’ successful video conferencing apps that we have previously developed. And you will be able to understand what solutions we can create.
An illustrative example demonstrating an innovative implementation of video conferencing can be seen in the Parta app. We created this solution that offers users a unique method of engaging in meaningful conversations using the new video conferencing technologies of computers and mobile devices. Its goal is to develop a supportive society for individuals and organizations to find new ways to connect and prosper online.
In addition, the development of such an application requires the presence of 20 professionals in a team. But we managed to optimize our workflow. And our specialists (two Developers, a QA Engineer, a Business Analyst, a Designer, and a Project Manager) built a new solution quickly.
We developed a viral and competitive application with a lot of attention to UX design. Our team chose Mediasoup as a video broadcasting technology that supports more users who use the app simultaneously. Our specialists collected feedback after a soft launch. We tested this new solution and then released it to the market. Besides, our team developed an MVP in three months and a full-fledged app in seven months.
Parta combines key features of popular audio and video chat apps: AI-generated news feed, private rooms, following, video calls, and room moderation. Moreover, we added gifts & donations, streaming, and broadcasting.
Our team also created Events10x for online events that allows holding conferences, lectures, and webinars seamlessly.
At the first stage of work, we needed to build a special engine based on WebRTC for broader streaming opportunities. Then our professionals integrated external tools (Microsoft Azure and Ngenius).
We launched Events10x after a series of different tests. Our team developed this app in three months that can broadcast to over 15,000 people. In addition, this video conferencing platform includes various features such as messaging, broadcasting, calendar planning, calls, AI-powered translation, and multiple hub options. Moreover, our team added white-label solutions, private video chat rooms, and conference participants’ matchmaking.
We can also refine existing solutions. For example, we have improved the healthcare conferencing application HIPAA Telmed. Our experts carefully studied the wishes of the customer and analyzed his product.
We needed to resolve the issue of secrecy between doctor and patient, with every possible means taken to remove the possibility of any data leakage. Another issue we had to address was updating existing video conferencing technologies in the application.
We have implemented TSL, TDL, and Role-based Authorization for app entry to ensure the sensitive personal data exchange is fully secure. HIPAA Video allows doctors and patients to meet remotely without hospital visits.
Our company also has experience in developing scalable, high-load video conferencing platforms. One of these is PractiCall. It’s a Zoom-like mobile and web app that features video and audio calling, streaming, recording, and messaging.
Our client wanted to reduce operational costs and create an application independent of solutions available on the market. We turned his goals into reality by developing a custom, easy-to-use platform with competitive functionality.
We enabled fast scaling by using Mediasoup for video and audio conferencing and allowing separate hardware support. Our team made the app secure by adding end-to-end encryption and supplemented our solution with live chat and breakout room features.
The video conferencing market is rapidly growing every year, so now is the best time to create your innovative solution in this direction. It would help if you considered modern video conferencing technology trends, allowing you to build a successful product that meets users’ expectations.
If you know which project you want to create, we recommend validating your app idea. And you will understand whether your concept is realistic, valid, and will bring profits. Moreover, you’ll save a lot of time by taking this significant step toward creating a successful app.
Our dedicated team at Softermii can help you develop an idea for your project and implement it using new video conferencing technologies. We have extensive experience creating solutions in the following areas: Telehealth, Intranet/Internal Business Communications, Online Education, Virtual Conferences, “Business Speed Dating,” and Networking.
Contact us, and we will create your video conferencing app of any complexity.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is video conferencing technology the future?
The advantages of remote work and video conferencing solutions make it virtually impossible to neglect technology in favor of old-fashioned methods. Their proven benefits make video conversation app development a promising field for software engineers and developers.
What is the future of video conferencing?
A vibrant market exists for company-specific and more general communication solutions that meet the security and functionality needs of the business. There are also many opportunities for new apps for socializing and spending leisure time online.
We can assume the mass adoption of a disruptive technology associated with deep virtual reality. For example, people can find themselves in an artificial world where they can communicate with anyone anywhere in the world in real-time. It can be like the virtual reality simulation OASIS in the movie “Ready Player One.” Just imagine what opportunities this can open for companies and customers.
What are video conferencing problems and solutions?
Some primary concerns include insufficient integration into enterprise workflows, a lack of versatile video conferencing apps satisfying different businesses’ needs, and security issues. Yet, companies can tackle these challenges by developing robust custom video conferencing software.
Are video conferencing technologies becoming more popular in the post-pandemic time?
As the trend for remote work increased, video conference technology became even more widespread. We expect to see more such solutions in the future.
How about to rate this article?
1489 ratings • Avg 4.9 / 5