Want to know more? — Subscribe
Technology has been instrumental in providing innovative solutions to address the problems caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Trends in video conferencing clearly illustrate this point.
And in this article, we will tell you about new video conferencing technology trends. You will also learn about the successful video conferencing applications (Parta, Event10x, HIPAA Telmed) that we regularly create in a short timeframe.
So let's find out how video conferencing technology trends in 2022 will look like.
Video conferencing market analysis & overview
According to Global Market Insights, the video conferencing market size exceeded USD 15 billion in 2020 and is projected to expand at around 23% CAGR from 2021 to 2027. It would be best to consider that this figure might change next year. Why? Perhaps we will see a new wave of restrictions in different areas of life.
Accordingly, demand and supply for video conferencing apps will increase even more. In our volatile world, it isn't easy to make accurate predictions. So you have to try to be one step ahead if you want to tackle a video conferencing adoption.
Source: Global Market Insight
Let's look at the main players. In the current global video conferencing market, we can distinguish the following companies that together occupy a little more than half of the entire market:
- Zoom Video Communication Inc.
- Cisco Systems Inc.
- Microsoft Corporation
- Google Inc.
- Adobe Systems Inc.
- ZTE Corporation
- Huawei Technologies Co
Source: Global Market Insight
As you can see, 43.1% of the market is from other companies. The leader, Zoom Video Communication Inc., has a market share of only 14.5%. So, there is no monopoly in video conferencing solutions now — and you can try to get your piece of the pie.
You need to create an application that meets the expectations of your customers. And we want to help you. So, we will talk about the trends in the next blocks of this article.
Video conferencing market insights & Covid-19 impact
The COVID-19 pandemic spurred video conferencing market growth in 2020 due to restrictions imposed by regional governments. Most people have faced problems like this:
- Closure of offices and educational institutions
- Travel limitations within cities, countries, and between countries
- Restrictions on attending events (investor presentations, international seminars, trade shows, product launches), shopping and entertainment centers, and other public places
Consequently, companies began to look for opportunities to adapt to difficult situations to achieve the desired financial results. Corporate organizations had to spend money on the transfer of employees to telecommuting on a tight schedule.
Enterprises have begun to actively use video conferencing apps for business events and partner negotiations. This solution helped them to save office rental costs.
In addition, some government agencies are also moving to use video conferencing solutions. For example, the Supreme Court of India showed back in 2020 that it could work remotely.
According to McKinsey & co, in April 2020, overall telehealth utilization for office visits and outpatient care was 78 times higher than in February 2020. But later, it has stabilized at levels 38X higher ever since.
Source: McKinsey & co
Emerging video conferencing technology trends in 2022
The appearance of COVID-19 has forced decision-makers to rethink how they can use teleconferencing. Government lockdowns and social distancing protocols designed to slow the spread of the virus were implemented without much warning.
The only way to maintain some semblance of normalcy in many areas of our lives is with video conferencing in the post-covid landscape.
Here are some of the new video conferencing technology trends in business communication after COVID that offer opportunities for developing new software solutions.
1. Enhanced business communication
- Commercial video conferencing solutions like Google Meet and Zoom were available as stopgap measures to maintain business communication. These generic apps are being replaced by more secure and sophisticated apps developed for specific audiences.
- Business users want apps as easy to use as FaceTime while providing the functionality demanded of a corporate audience.
- Businesses can enjoy substantial savings by reducing travel costs and consolidating office space in favor of a remote workforce.
- Improved video quality and integrating virtual meetings with productivity tools are essential components of new video conferencing solutions.
- The remote workforce requires collaborative tools to replace in-person meetings safely. They need to permit the free exchange of ideas without presenting technical roadblocks.
- Telehealth is a field that will continue to grow even after the pandemic is brought under control. Contact-free interaction between patients and providers brings better healthcare alternatives to those living in remote areas or who cannot easily travel.
- Transportation costs and waiting time are reduced through meetings with video conferencing, making telehealth attractive to patients. Industry adoption of virtual solutions has resulted in insurance providers reimbursing expenses for visiting the doctor through video conferencing.
- Video conferencing apps developed for the healthcare industry need to ensure stringent security to protect the sensitive personal information exchanged between patients and providers.
- Ease of use is an important characteristic that will help drive the adoption of virtual solutions in healthcare. Both patients and practitioners need to be comfortable using the app to gain widespread use.
3. Society at large
- Apps that offer users the chance to interact seamlessly with friends virtually depend on video conferencing technology. The trend is toward apps that allow free-form interaction with multiple parties simultaneously viewing and sending video streams.
- Virtual tours of cultural attractions like museums offer organizations the ability to present their work to new and larger audiences. Apps that allow individuals to view the world's great attractions from the comfort of their homes promise to be an exciting opportunity for software developers.
- Video conferencing innovations will continue to affect the way consumers make purchasing decisions. Dedicated apps can be used to walk users through purchases involving real estate, furniture, vehicles, and many other products.
4. Cloud-based communication
- Cloud communication can significantly reduce your IT costs since you don't need to use the infrastructure or equipment.
- Cloud services are more convenient and simpler for both users and IT professionals. They can be automatically updated and maintained by the developer. Companies only need to make subscription fees (there are also free apps).
- It's much easier for your employees to understand cloud communication. On top of that, such technology can have many users worldwide who can also help you with arising questions.
5. The Growth of 5G
- This technology can increase speed and reduce latency for mobile users. Video and audio quality will take center stage in the remote communication of people.
- 5G will help increase the number of IoT devices that can interact with each other 24/7. For example, people will use more advanced models of watches and glasses in this direction.
- 5G technology can also help organize quality online events.
- Companies are increasingly turning their attention to the use of artificial intelligence (AI) when developing video conferencing apps.
- Businesses can integrate this technology into their virtual assistant solutions. They can help users with many issues related to online negotiations: note-taking, schedule management, suggestions for pre-meeting preparation, and much more.
- AI can collect useful data from online meetings and analyze it. For example, you will see the names of the participants in your video conference, which improves communication.
- What's more, AI can process the language, which allows video conferencing conversations to be recorded and even translated into different languages in real-time.
- People want to use secure apps because they worry about personal data leaks. And companies take care of the compliance of their solutions with safety standards so that customers feel calm.
- You need to ensure that your developers use the new technology in video conferencing and take care of your application's security.
- If you have created a robust video conferencing solution, you can post information or an icon that your application complies with security standards.
8. User experience
- Customers pay attention to the convenience and simplicity of video conferencing apps. Therefore, users prefer to use applications such as FaceTime and WhatsApp to start a conversation in seconds.
- Companies try to create apps where people need to take the minimum number of steps to start a video chat. The development team tests their solutions in focus groups to bring a good product to the market.
- Clients prefer to use web applications that they do not need to download but follow the link and make one click.
- You can also create an application that can integrate different popular video conferencing platforms.
In many cases, changes spurred by the pandemic have revealed better ways to conduct business and attend to other aspects of modern life. There are tremendous opportunities for developers focusing on innovative uses of new video conferencing technologies.
Current and New Video Conferencing Technology Trends
Multiple impediments contributed to slowing the adoption of video conferencing technology before the coronavirus pandemic. The areas of society we are focusing on each had some specific issues that impacted teleconferencing.
1. Business environment
Productivity concerns made management reluctant to allow work to be done remotely. Additional roadblocks were a lack of integration into enterprise workflows and the costs of development and implementation. The security of corporate data assets is another issue that slows the use of remote technology solutions.
2. Social and leisure activities
Teleconferencing has always been seen as a poor alternative to personal interaction when engaged in leisure activities. People enjoy and thrive on social experiences such as meeting in bars, concerts and attending sporting events in person.
Multiple issues, including a lack of apps and data security concerns, worked against the spread of telehealth solutions. Educating patients on the use of new technology posed a problem. In some cases, insurance companies denied reimbursement for teleconferencing visits with healthcare professionals. The sensitive nature of the data exchanged between patients and providers made it essential to implement strong security.
Video conferencing trends are typical for regions where the government has not created the necessary conditions and market participants are not ready for changes. But over time, they still start looking towards the use and development of video conferencing apps.
Future of the video conferencing industry
The advantages of remote work and health delivery solutions make it virtually impossible to neglect the technology in favor of old-fashioned methods. Their proven benefits make video conversation app development a promising field for software engineers and developers.
Millions of business-related video conferences are held daily in the United States. A vibrant market exists for company-specific and more general communication solutions that meet the security and functionality needs of the business and healthcare communities. There are also many opportunities for new apps for socializing and spending leisure time online.
We can assume the mass adoption of a disruptive technology associated with deep virtual reality. For example, people can find themselves in an artificial world where they can communicate with anyone anywhere in the world in real-time. It can be like the virtual reality simulation OASIS in the movie "Ready Player One." Just imagine what opportunities this can open for companies and customers.
Next, we will tell you about some of our partners' successful video conferencing apps that we have previously developed. And you will be able to understand what solutions we can create.
An illustrative example demonstrating an innovative implementation of video conferencing can be seen in the Parta app. We created this solution that offers users a unique method of engaging in meaningful conversations using the new video conferencing technologies of computers and mobile devices. Its goal is to develop a supportive society for individuals and organizations to find new ways to connect and prosper in an online world.
In addition, the development of such an application requires the presence of 20 professionals in a team. But we managed to optimize our workflow. And our specialists (two Developers, a QA Engineer, a Business Analyst, a Designer, and a Project Manager) built a new solution quickly.
We developed a viral and competitive application with a lot of attention to UX design. Our team chose Mediasoup as a video broadcasting technology that supports more users who use the app simultaneously. Our specialists collected feedback after a soft launch. We tested this new solution and then released it to the market. Besides, our team developed an MVP in three months and a full app in seven months.
Parta combines key features of popular audio and video chat apps: AI-generated news feed, private rooms, following, video calls, and room moderation. Moreover, we added gifts & donations, streaming, and broadcasting.
Our team also created Events10x for online events that allows holding conferences, lectures, and webinars seamlessly.
At the first stage of work, we needed to build a special engine based on WebRTC for broader streaming opportunities. Then our professionals integrated external tools (Microsoft Azure and Ngenius).
We launched Events10x after a series of different tests. Our team managed to develop this app in three months that can broadcast to over 15000 people. In addition, this video conferencing platform includes different features such as messaging, broadcasting, calendar planning, calls, AI-powered translation, multiple hubs options. Moreover, our team added white label solutions, private video chat rooms, and conference participants matchmaking.
We can also refine existing solutions. For example, we have improved the healthcare conferencing application HIPAA Telmed. Our experts carefully studied the wishes of the customer and analyzed his product.
We needed to resolve the issue of secrecy between doctor and patient, with every possible means taken to remove the possibility of any data leakage. Another issue we had to address was updating existing video conferencing technologies in the application.
We have implemented TSL, TDL, and Role-based Authorization for app entry to ensure the sensitive personal data exchange is fully secure. HIPAA Video allows doctors and patients to meet remotely without hospital visits.
Create your own video conferencing app
So, the video conferencing market is growing rapidly every year, which means that now is a good time to create your innovative solution in this direction. It would help if you considered modern video conferencing technology trends, allowing you to build a successful product that meets users' expectations.
If you know which project you want to create, we recommend validating your app idea. And you will understand whether your concept is realistic, valid, and will bring profits. Moreover, you will save a lot of time by taking this important step toward creating a successful app.
Our dedicated team at Softermii can help you develop an idea for your project and implement it using new video conferencing technologies. We have extensive experience in creating solutions in the following areas: Telehealth, Intranet/Internal Business Communications, Online Education, Virtual Conferences, and "Business Speed Dating" and Networking.
Contact us, and we will create your video conferencing app of any complexity.
Frequently Asked Questions
Each company has its unique desires, needs, and requirements for a video conferencing project. Consequently, we consider that the time and costs can depend on different factors: the type of software, the team and the project sizes, the launch day, and the number and quality of specialists in the team.
Our dedicated team consists of highly qualified professionals such as Back-End and Front-End Developers, UI/UX Designers, Business Analysts, Quality Assurance Engineers, and Project Managers.
We use the latest video-conferencing technology to create solutions that meet market requirements, user expectations, and your business needs. The technologies used may be different, depending on the needed features and the general complexity of the video conferencing solution, but the basic tech stack is as follows:
- React Native
- Node JS
Of course. Our professionals can help you with this issue. We carefully study your expectations, analyze the market and competitors. Then our team offers you a few ideas for your future video conferencing app. We can also develop a turnkey solution that will help your business reach the next level.
It's a very important stage in your project that cannot be neglected. Why? You can spend a lot of time and money developing an application that is not suitable for the video conferencing market. Consequently, we recommend you validate your application idea. Sure, you will also spend resources on this step, but you will know if your idea can bring you profit in the future.
How about to rate this article?
8 ratings • Avg 5 / 5